In this article we will highlight what pet owners need to know about their kitten’s diet in our Buyer’s Guide; and we review the best kitten foods available in 2023.
We have investigated a range of kitten food products. By reading the product ingredients; considering the quality of the recipes; noting company responses to cat parents’ questions; researching veterinarian advice; and most importantly, viewing what customers say about the products (the good and the bad!) we have been able to provide unbiased summarized reviews on kitten food for our readers.
Cat Food Advisor’s aim to save you time and help you decide upon a kitten food that is best for your new little feline friend!
Ultimate Buyer’s Guide to Kitten Food
Before checking out our kitten food product views below, we suggest you take a quick look at our comprehensive Buyer’s Guide.
In the guide we point out what to look for in a quality food for kittens, and more importantly what ingredients to avoid.
Cat Food Advisor’s No 1 Best Kitten Foods Picks
From the Kitten foods we have reviewed, our No 1 pick for a wet food is Royal Canin Feline Wet Kitten Food . It is specifically made with care for kittens up to 12 months old and comes with a loaf of meat dipped in a sauce for easy chewing, palatability and digestion.
For a dry food it is Wellness Complete Health Grain Free Best Kitten Foods Recipe features the right balance of protein and fat that kittens require. Formulated with a balanced blend of Omega Fatty Acids, vitamins & minerals for strong immune systems and energy for kittens.
Best Kitten Foods 2023 Comparison Chart
Here is a quick view comparison chart of the 10 Best Kitten Foods. These commercial kitten foods all meet the nutritional requirements of kittens essential for good health, energy and growth. We give comprehensive reviews on these products later in this article (scroll down).
|Product||Customer Rating||Good for||Price Amazon||Price Chewy|
|Royal Canin Feline Wet Kitten Food||4.7 STARS||Best for kittens under 4 months|
Chicken & pork
|Hill’s Science Diet Wet Cat Food||4.4 STARS||All natural ingredients|
For good immunity and stronger bones
|Purina Fancy Feast Wet Food||New||Digestible and 100% right nutrition|
4 meat recipes
|Blue Buffalo Kitten Dry Cat Food||4.8 STARS||Support cognitive heath and growth|
No by-product meats
|Purina Pro Plan Kitten Wet Food||4.7 STARS||Healthier and tastier balanced food|
|Hill’s Science Diet Dry Kitten Food||4.8 STARS||High-quality ingredients and pre-biotics|
Formulated by nutritionists
|NUTRO Soft Loaf Kitten Wet Food||4.4 STARS||Savory and smooth texture|
No artificial additives or grains
|Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Wet Food||New||100% Complete and balanced nutrition|
Real meat as fist ingredient
|Royal Canin-Mother and Babycat Food||4.8 STARS||Suitable for Mother & kitten|
Chicken as fist ingredient
|Wellness Complete Health Dry Kitten Food||4.7 STARS||Complete grain-free nutrition|
No artificial additives
Kitten Food Reviews:
Royal Canin is an established and trusted brand when it comes to quality cat food products. It provides balanced nutrition perfect for giving kittens a healthy start to life. They offer tinned kitten food suitable for the first 12 months of life that can be complimented with The Royal Canin Kitten Dry Kibble.
- Royal Canin offers a loaf in Sauce which is easy for kittens to eat.
- Made with the optimally balanced proportions of protein, fats, and carbohydrates to meet the needs of a fast growing kitten.
- Antioxidants included to support a kitten’s immune system.
- Digestible proteins, fiber, and prebiotics, ensuring easy digestion.
The Royal Canin Feline Wet Kitten Food main ingredients is chicken and pork. It comes in a case of 24 cans, each with 3oz of kitten food.
- Includes chicken and pork by-products
Hill is not anything new for cat owners as they have a widely trusted name in the cat food’s market. They offer a variety dry food and canned foods for cats and kittens.
- Protein form Chicken as the main ingredients.
- Clinically proven antioxidants and vitamin C and E for a healthy immune system.
- Balanced minerals for strong bones and teeth.
- 3 flavors/recipes on offer (chicken, lamb, salmon)
- Made with natural ingredients.
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
Hill’s Science Diet Wet Cat Food employs a large team of veterinarians and food scientists who have collaborated in the development of their cat foods, and the company provides charity to homeless pets.
- Some customers say their kittens are fussy with their tastes.
- A little more expensive than other brands.
- Does use by-products meat, however, main ingredient is real meat.
Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Formula offers complete and balanced nutrition for kittens. Their product comes in a 24 pack of 3oz tins with 4 different recipes, adding variety to your kittens diet.
- 4 meat recipes/flavors in each pack- Salmon, Whitefish, Chicken, and Turkey.
- Specifically formulated for growing kittens.
- Added Essential Vitamins and Minerals providing a balance of nutrition.
- First ingredient is real meat protein-rich.
- Rated 4.8 Stars.
Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Formula has been rated highly by customers with 4.8 stars. It has a fair price tag and customers generally say their kittens love the taste.
- Ingredient list includes egg and milk (though not in any great quantity)
The Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Kitten Chicken and Brown Rice formula offers a complete nutrition for healthy skin, coat, eye development and strong bones and muscles. We particularly like this product as it has real chicken meat as its main ingredient rather than meat by-products.
- Real chicken meat as the first ingredient providing high-quality protein for strong muscles.
- Formulated specifically for nutritional needs of kittens.
- Contains DHA, ARA and choline to support cognitive and retinal development.
- Antioxidants, vitamins and minerals for holistic nutrition.
- Does not contain by-product meat meals.
- Does not contain corn, wheat, soy or artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Cold-formed to preserve potency.
- Small sized kibble suitable for small kittens.
- Omega 3 and Fatty acids included for healthy skin and coat.
- Customers rate it 4.8 stars!
The Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Kitten Chicken and Brown Rice (dry) cat food is a great choice for your kitten. It is made with natural and healthy ingredients that support healthy growth and development in kittens.
- Some customers say their kitten’s digestive system does not cope with this product.
- Brown rice (although, not in great quantities)
Purina Pro Plan Kitten Wet Food is made with Real Chicken & Liver (and offers 2 other recipes) and is specially formulated for kittens. It comes in a 24 can pack with three recipes/flavors to add variety to your kittens diet.
- Offers classic and flaked kitten food texture options.
- 3 recipes/flavors- Chicken & Liver; Ocean Whitefish & Tuna; Salmon & Ocean fish.
- Made with real poultry and fish as the main protein ingredients.
- It contains DHA for brain and vision development.
- Essential nutrients that support a strong immune system.
- Specifically formulated for kittens in their first year.
- Rated 4.7 Stars by customers.
We like how Purina Pro Plan Kitten Wet Food has real
- Artificial flavors and colors used
- Pricier than other kitten wet food brands
- Kittens shouldn’t consume too much fish.
Hill’s Science Diet Kitten Indoor Dry Cat Food provides is specifically developed to fuel the energy needs of indoor kittens so they can get the best start in life.
- The high-quality ingredients and pre-biotic fibers included in the food contribute to good health for a tidier litter box.
- Natural DHA from fish oil source supports healthy brain and eye development.
- Antioxidant and vitamin blend work together to help support a healthy immune system.
- Made from natural, high-quality ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- Complete and balanced diet recommended for kittens, pregnant and nursing cats.
- Balanced minerals for strong bones and teeth.
- Kibble small sized suitable for small kittens.
- Rated 4.8 stars by customers.
The company says Hills Dry kitten kibble is the No.1 veterinarian recommended dry food for kittens. They also aspire to have products that have been developed by food scientists who understand kitten nutrition.
The dry kitten kibble is available in three sizes, 3.5lb, 7lb and 15.5lb. They offer two different formulas, one for the indoor kitten and the other for kittens in general.
The company supports a homeless pets charity, with a percentage of all products sold being given to pet shelters.
- Whole grain wheat as second ingredient
NUTRO Soft Leaf Kitten Wet Food is packed with high-quality meat ingredients, including organ meat with no added fillers. Integrated into their product are minerals and vitamins that kittens require for healthy immune systems and strong bones.
- Offers 4 recipes/flavors- Turkey & Liver; Salmon & Tuna; Chicken; and Chicken & Liver.
- It has a soft texture presented as a loaf, that is easy for kittens to eat.
- Real meat as its number-one ingredient.
- No wheat, corn, rice or other grains.
- No artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Customer rating 4.4 Stars.
We like that NUTRO Soft Leaf Kitten Wet Food does not have grains and its main ingredient is real meat.
- Unique packaging hard for some customers to open.
- Ingredients list not given.
Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Canned Food offer 2 flavors for your kittens, Tender Chicken Feast and Tender Salmon feast. It comes in a pack of 12 cans in total, 6 of each flavor so that your kitten can enjoy a different flavor on alternative days.
- It includes Real Chicken Or Salmon as its first Ingredient so that your kitten can have a healthier and complete meal.
- It ensures to provide a 100% Complete and balanced nutrition for kittens.
- Along with basic ingredients, it also adds Essential Vitamins And Minerals which support health from every side because we know little kittens are more prone to infections and other health conditions.
Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Formula is delicately designed with Real Milk and Real Chicken/Real Salmon and promises to provide your kitten with everything that their fragile bodies and little stomachs demand for a better upbringing and health. Feel free to choose Purina as your kitty partner and it will not let you regret.
- contains artificial flavors and colors
- Has small amounts of milk and eggs
Royal Canin is a well-known and trusted brand for manufacturing quality cat food products. This tinned kitten food provides balanced nutrition for younger kittens (1-4 months) and pregnant or nursing mother cats.
- Supports a young kitten’s immune system with an inclusion of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Fluffy mousse texture in sauce is easy to eat and helps kittens transition from milk to solid food
- Promotes healthy digestive system development with highly digestible proteins and prebiotics
- Include DHA which builds a strong foundation for brain development that starts in the womb, continues throughout the mother cat’s pregnancy.
- Chicken as the first ingredient.
- Rated 4.8 Stars by customers.
Mother and Babycat food is the best choice for supplementing mom and kittens being weaned. Royal Canin Mother and Babycat Canned Food comes in 3oz cans in a 24 can pack.
- Pork by-products included (but not as main ingredient)
Wellness Complete Health Grain Free Best Kitten Foods Recipe features the right balance of protein and fat that kittens require. Formulated with a balanced blend of Omega Fatty Acids, vitamins & minerals for strong immune systems and energy for kittens.
- Wellness Cat Foods promote themselves as a company that works closely with with vets, nutritionists and scientists, to create a product to deliver everything your kitten needs to thrive.
- Grain free kitten recipe, specifically crafted to support growing kitten. It includes, quality proteins (chicken) and added taurine to support healthy eye and heart development
- Recipe designed to give what kittens require: nutrition for energy, lustrous skin and coat, healthy digestion and immunity, strong teeth and healthy eyes.
- Plus controlled minerals for urinary health support.
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
- Made in USA, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits.
- The product featured main ingredient is deboned chicken and chicken meal.
- Rated 4.7 Stars by customers.
Wellness Complete Health Grain Free Indoor Health Recipe for Kittens, comes in three bag sizes, 2.5lb, 6lb, and 12lb. features the right balance of fats and proteins with the inclusion of vitamins, minerals and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- None that we could see
Frequently Asked Questions About Kittens and Their Nutritional Needs
Many of our viewer’s questions listed below have been answered HERE.
- When are Kittens Weaned?
- What Are the Nutrients in a Lactating Mother Cat’s Milk?
- What Are the Signs that Your Kitten is Not Doing Well?
- Do Weaned Kittens Need a Special Kitten Food?
- What We Recommend When Buying Kitten Food.
- What to Look for in a High Quality Commercial Kitten Food.
- How Much Kitten Food Should You Feed Your Kitten?
- What Foods Should NOT Be Given to Kittens?
- Should You Feed Kittens Dry Kibble or Wet Canned Kitten Food?
Best Kitten Food Conclusion
Food is a basic and crucial need in a kitten’s life which determines the overall health, energy levels and growth of kittens. All of the 10 best kitten foods of 2023 available in Amazon and Chewy stores that we have reviewed offer well rounded balanced nutrition for kittens.
We welcome your comments and questions on our Best Kitten Foods article.
A Final Word
Cat Food Advisor is privately owned. We do not accept money, samples, gifts, or other incentives in exchange for special consideration in preparing our reviews.
However, we do receive a referral fee from online retailers, like Chewy or Amazon (at no extra cost to you) when readers click over to their websites from ours. This helps cover the cost of operation of our free blog. Thanks for your support.
For more information, please visit our Disclaimer and Disclosure page.